07 May 2007

What? A Shooting Incident In Singapore?

Today I heard 3 successive loud bangs coming from a nearby HDB block. At first, I thought that someone was playing with fire crackers (which were banned in Singapore long before chewing gum met with the same fate).

I looked out the window and was horrified to see a man carrying a rifle. Thinking it was a robbery or another one-eyed dragon vs guni ter incident, I quickly grabbed my cordless phone to call the police. Luckily, I made one last check outside the window before I did. This time, I saw the gunman carrying something small and black in his hand.





What a relief when I realised that it was only a crow culling session by the National Environment Agency (NEA). My faith in Singapore's reputation as a safe city was restored. Safe not just from crazy gunmen but I believe also from bird flu as well. However, it looks like there is very little we can do about the current blog flu epidemic.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL, for a moment you had me going.....

Anonymous said...

They had this shooting for quite some time. Quite common in the Katong area where black crows swarmed the streets. It sounds irritating, the crows.

Victor said...

fireh66 - I was misled for a while too.

Tigerfish - I seldom see the crow culling people around my area. This is the first time. However I have seen them place huge cages in other estates with baits in them to lure crows to the trap. But it seems like the crows are quite smart (not quite bird-brained, eh). You can only catch them one at a time - other crows will stay away once they see another live crow trapped in the cage.

Anonymous said...

Kind of funny! :)

Share it on Singapore's social news site. Cheerios!

http://www.mallr.com/story.php?title=See-someone-carrying-rifle-Before-you-dial-999-check-again

ahhong said...

haha..shooting case should happen at night in stead of dau gua^^

Victor said...

Anonymous - Thanks for advertising my article for me.

Ahhong - "Dau gua"? That's Hokkien for hard bean curd, haha. You probably meant shooting case should happen at night instead of daytime, am I right? Not necessarily. The Serangoon shooting incident which I cited in my article occurred early in the morning (almost 7 am).

I visited your blog. Hmm... all in Chinese. Although I understand Chinese, I am not very fluent in it. Read that you bought some "cheap" speakers from those rogue salesmen in vans. Aiyah, you must be not born here. So easy kena "snooked".

Anonymous said...

Victor I just realized I left the wrong name on your blog fireh66 is me suppose to be Firehorse.

Victor said...

Firehorse - Yes, I knew it was you. (Who else will have such a unique name, right? And now I also know your year of birth... oops, haha.) After a recent bad experience, now I always address people as how they appear.

Lam Chun See said...

I have heard a lot about this crow-shooting biz, but yet to witness one. Do you recall a case in the news a few years back where this man was accidentally shot.

Victor said...

Chun See - Yes, I recall that accidents from crow-culling had happened before. Luckily the shots from the air rifles are usually not lethal to humans. There was also a reported case in which the bullet hit a window pane of a nearby HDB flat. The NEA should just stick to using cage traps in residential areas.