31 May 2009

Old Singapore Quiz (8) - Old Houses


Like many oldies e.g this chap and this bloke, I am also fascinated by old houses, especially dilapidated and abandoned ones. Each one of them is beautiful and mysterious (the old houses, not the oldies). You wonder about the usual 5 W's and 1 H, that is:

1. Who stayed in them before and who owns it now?

2. When was it built and when was it last abandoned?

3. What was its history and what would it be used for in the future?

4. Where can you find another one just like it in Singapore?

5. Why was it not "en-bloc-ed" yet, considering sky-high property prices in Singapore now?

6. How does it look like inside and how long more will it be left standing like this? Will it be demolished soon or will an impending makeover completely deprive it of its original character, like what has happened to so many other similar buildings in Singapore?

Please note that the above are not quiz questions. I am not so mean as to ask questions for which I do not know the answers myself. However, if you could provide the answers to the above questions, please do. I believe many people would like to know the answers, including myself.

I don't know if this house is still standing today. As you can tell from the date imprint, the above photo was taken more than 2 years ago. As usual, I have removed the background of the photo so that there won't be an unfair advantage for people like Icemoon who could easily recognise the buildings standing in the background, regardless of how far away they are.

Quiz Question:

I only ask you this simple lone question:

Where is this house located? (Just provide the road name.)

Here are some hints: Although I don't think this is a famous landmark or a historically significant house, this should be an easy quiz as the house faces a very busy road. You must have noticed it if you have ever passed by it before, whether on foot or in a vehicle.

Update on 31 May 2009:

It is obvious that YG knows the answer and is trying very hard to keep the secret acting blur. He asked in the comments of this article: "were you accosted by the any heavy chested chinese woman while taking the photograph?"

YG, indeed I was. The woman with porcelain-white complexion came up to me from behind and then suddenly without saying a word, lifted her blouse to show me her "heavy chested" assets. I was too shocked for words - she wasn't wearing any bra. And there she was, standing topless in front of me. My eyes strayed lower and it was then that I realised that she was bottomless too! I quickly snapped a photo of her.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
If you are below 18 years of age, you cannot proceed.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
If you get offended by picture of body parts, you can retreat now.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

8 comments:

yg said...

were you accosted by the any heavy chested chinese woman while taking the photograph?

yg said...

let me make a guess on how you happened to be in that area. you went there to eat teochew porridge and walked past this house. or you walked past this huse after eating teochew muay.

Victor said...

YG, no I didn't eat Teochew porridge there before or after the photo session. To answer your other question, I have updated the post.

Anonymous said...

Without doubt, she must be as beautiful as her figure...
Andy

Unknown said...

Its interesting how that sculpture just reflects quite a few things in that statement. While you can't "see" its face, its "bosom" is fairly visible and this seems illustrative that sometimes it isn't the eyes that do the talking.

Funny how you manage to merge heritage with "whoretage". lol.

Victor said...

Walter, which statement are you referring to? That "bare statement" made by the sculpture? :-)

yg said...

victor, today, along syed alwi road, i saw a house with fascias that looked like those of the dilapidated house in your picture.

Victor said...

YG - Did you take a picture for comparison? And you didn't meet any heavy-chested Indian woman?