01 January 2009

Feeling Nostalgic Is Good For Health

Did you read this article titled "Feeling Nostalgic Is Good For Your Health" which was published in the "Mind Your Body" supplement of the Straits Times today?


(Click on the above image to read the report.)

The article was actually reproduced from a Los Angeles Times report titled "Nostalgia Viewed As Therapeutic". In fact, The Times Of India also published a similar article, "Being Nostalgic Can Be Good For Health" recently.

In my opinion, this is certainly better than exercise as no physical effort is required, only thoughts and feelings. But be sure to think only of positive nostalgic thoughts not how much money you lost in wrong investments last year.

I wish everyone a Happy New Year. Think positive nostalgic thoughts and live a long and healthy life.

9 comments:

Lam Chun See said...

This is one of the reasons why I encouraged senior citizens to blog here

Victor said...

Chun See, I think one simple reason why blogging about yesterday is healthy is that it takes away worrying thoughts about today and tomorrow. You don't need psychologists to tell you that.

Anonymous said...

And nostalgic thoughts are usually pleasant ones ... even unpleasant ones make us feel good because we managed to survived through them.

yg said...

i should be very healthy - i walk a lot and blog often about the good old days.

Unknown said...

Thanks for highlighting this article. I believe that all of us can be nostalgic, whatever age group we belong to. What I am trying to do now is to capture as much of my life now - and that of my son - so that when we grow old, there are things that we can recall and remember. Especially photographs which can paint a thousand words.

Patricea Chow-Capodieci said...

Hi Victor, Happy 2009.

Did you read about this: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/04/world/asia/04village.html?_r=1

Maybe it is more Chun See's kinda thing to write about?

Victor said...

Fr and Yg - Both of you will surely live long and healthy lives since you blog about the good old days quite often and know how to appreciate the little pleasant things in life. :)

Victor said...

Walter, I noticed that Ethan visited California and Paris recently. He will surely appreciate your documenting all the travel memories. Even I appreciated it because I haven't been to these 2 places before. :p

Victor said...

Patricea - Thank you for highlighting the link. No I was not aware of it. I will forward the link to our interest group.

I visited Kampung Buangkok some time ago and took some photos but never got down to blogging about it. As for Chun See, he was interviewed by some NTU students one or two years ago for their project on Kampung Buangkok. You can watch their 3-part video here.