26 January 2009
Old Singapore Quiz (5)
1. Who used to occupy the premises behind this pair of forlorn-looking gates?
2. Where is this location? (Give the road name.)
3. In which housing estate are the flats in the background located?
4. Where did the former occupant move to and when? (Give the address and year.)
Update on 2 Feb 2009 - Answers to Quiz
1. Singapore Leprosy Relief Association (SILRA).
2. Lorong Buang Kok.
3. Buangkok estate.
4. SILRA Home is located at 80 Buangkok View, Buangkok Green Medical Park, Singapore 534191 since 1 Oct 2005.
Although the letters had been removed (no photoshopping at all) and were worn by time and weather, a cross and the words "SILRA HOME" are still faintly visible on the wall near the gates.
Leprosy is called ma2 feng (痲風) in Chinese. During the period from 1962-67, the average number of newly registered leprosy cases in Singapore was slightly more than 200 each year. The number of new cases is steadily declining and now there are about 30 cases a year.
You can find out more about the disease from SILRA website here.