11 July 2009
Old Singapore Quiz (9)
The above photo was not taken by me. For the moment, I shall not reveal its source as doing so might reveal the answers to the quiz.
The owner of the photo had labelled it as a scene from Penang's Georgetown around the year 1970. I have no doubt over the purported date of the photo but I am very certain that the place was a part of old Singapore and not Penang. I am familiar with this area as I used to stay around here from birth till the mid-1970s. (Now that's a BIG clue for readers who have been following this blog since it started in 2005 or for those of you who know me personally. If you need more evidence that this is indeed an old Singapore photo, you should download and closely examine the enlarged photo. Then you might be able to see that the car facing the camera has a registration number plate that shows "SE1614". (According to this Wikipedia link, the 2-letter "S" series of vehicle registration plates ended in Jan 1972 and was replaced by the "E" series.)
If you need another clue, I can tell you that none of the buildings that you see in the photo is still standing today, if that is of any help.
Here are the quiz questions:
1. What is the name of the road in the foreground of the photo?
2. Outside what building was this photo taken from?
3. Name 2 landmarks in the photo. (To make the quiz more challenging, I have erased the name from the facade of the tall building on the left edge of the photo.)
4. Name the model of the car with the plate "SE1614". (This car model was quite commonly seen on our roads in the 1960-70s.)
5. What is the name of the street near the passenger side of the car with the plate "SE1614", i.e. near the shop where you see the "BAR" and no-entry signs.
Results and answers will be published in my blog in a week's time.